What I Read Last Week - July 13th

 




4 Stars

I really enjoyed this adventure. One of the highlights was getting to spend more time with Luke and Mara Jade as a married couple. Zahn does a great job developing their relationship, and their partnership feels like the heart of the story.

It was also fascinating to learn more about Thrawn's past and see how his actions continue to shape the galaxy long after his death. The mystery surrounding Outbound Flight kept me invested, and the ending definitely left me wanting more. That final tease about another Thrawn clone has me eager to keep reading and see where the story goes next.

3 Stars

Jane Austen's Bookshelf had an interesting premise, but unfortunately, it just wasn't the right fit for me. I found the pacing slow, and it often felt repetitive, making it difficult to stay engaged.

That said, Rebecca Romney is clearly a talented writer. Her passion for the subject shines through, and she includes plenty of fascinating historical details and literary insights. I learned a few things along the way and can appreciate the amount of research that went into the book.

While I didn't connect with it as much as I'd hoped, I think readers who are deeply interested in literary history, forgotten women writers, or Jane Austen's influences may get much more out of it than I did.



5 Stars

Dear Debbie by Freida McFadden completely blew me away. This is officially my new favorite Freida McFadden book. I thought I had a handle on where the story was going, but that ending proved me spectacularly wrong. The final twist left me absolutely speechless.

Fast paced, unsettling, and impossible to put down. If you love books that pull the rug out from under you, Dear Debbie delivers.



3 Stars

Henry Tudor Must Die by Jillian Laine had an interesting premise, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It read much more like a nonfiction history book than a historical fantasy, with long stretches of historical information that slowed the story down.

One of my biggest struggles was the fictional author/narrator stepping in to explain historical context. Instead of weaving those details naturally into the story, the interruptions made the narrative feel disjointed and pulled me out of the experience.

I also went in expecting a stronger witchy element, but the history took center stage. If you love detailed Tudor history, this may be exactly your kind of book. I was just hoping for a better balance between the historical setting and the magical premise.

Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.

4 Stars

Iron Gold definitely felt like a transition book. It was long, the pacing dragged in places, and adding so many new points of view took some getting used to. Even so, Pierce Brown somehow made me care about every storyline.

By the end, I was completely invested and already reaching for the next book. It may not have been my favorite in the series, but the world keeps getting bigger, the stakes keep getting higher, and I'm too hooked to stop now.



5 Stars

This completely lived up to the hype. Celeste Ng created such layered, complicated characters that I couldn't stop turning the pages. Every chapter peeled back another layer, making it impossible to decide who was right and who was wrong. The family dynamics, class issues, and moral dilemmas were handled so well that I found myself thinking about them long after I finished.

This easily lands in my top 10 books of the year.

My only tiny complaint is the ending. It wrapped up a little too quickly for my taste. I was especially hoping Elena would face a bit more of the consequences of her choices. Even so, it didn't take away from how much I loved the journey.

Comments

Popular Posts